Thursday, February 25, 2010

Youth is Wasted

Whoever said "youth is wasted on the young" was a brilliant person. It's true. We are young, but what do we do with our youth!? We spend all of our time in school, inside a building, not out enjoying the gift of nature. In our youth we obsess over the future and what it has to offer, we never once stop and think about our present moment or the past regrets. Sometimes it is good to look ahead, however, other times it would be useful to just Be. By the time our future comes we wont even notice it because we will have another future to plan out and so on and so forth. When we are old and decrepit and there is no reason to plan for the future we will finally be allowed to think of the current situation. By that time it is too late. All of our energy will be gone, our desires to do anything, basically our youth. We will then spend the next phase of our lives regretting the past and all the wasted adventures. If only we all lived as Benjamin Button, a fictional character who got to experience the prime of his life only after he learned to appreciate it.

I am a lucky youth. My family has never been the type to let an opportunity slip by. We jump on planes in the blink of an eye for destinations we picked out of a hat. We dont plan moments, we just do them. Last summer we went to Ireland, we planned that trip in 3 days because our flight left in 5. Over Christmas break we went to Las Vegas simply because we could. This summer we are planning a trip, to Hawaii, for reasons unknown to me. I am always going to embrace the present, and will never let the future hinder me. Yes, I need to think more and more about my future, but I have faith it will work out no matter how I get there.

Youth will not be wasted on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment