Saturday, March 21, 2009

First Dates

I hate first dates. Always have. I just don't like going through the motions of trying to impress someone. I hate how they always start the same way; slow-moving, what is your favorite anything, awkward moments. Always. You always have to introduce yourself in a way that keeps them interested. My opinion is if they are ever going to be interested in you, they won't care what you have to say. I wish on a first date you could be yourself. Even if you try, you always catch yourself saying or doing something just to impress, even if later you feel stupid for it.

Second dates are always easier. Always. It means you made it past the approval stage and into the possibility zone. You won the first date over and now you can get past the awkward moments.

BUT, what if you went on a first date that felt like your second, or even your third, or 100!? What happens then? These dates are the ones we all wish for. The ones that make us agree to dates in the first place. We all hope for the date where we are comfortable and not nervous, where we can say what we are really thinking and not worry it was the wrong thing. These are the ones that leave you smiling hours after they are over. The perfect date. No matter where it may be.

I have just experienced the latter. I don't even know where to begin on how absolutely wonderful it was. So I will just say that I am no longer someone who will dread a first date.

1 comment: